Bauxite is the principal raw material used in the production of alumina and substantially all of the bauxite used at our Gramercy refinery is from St. Ann. We transport bauxite from St. Ann to Gramercy by oceangoing vessels, which are the only available means of transportation.
Currently, a significant portion of the bauxite mined at St. Ann is refined into alumina at the Gramercy, Louisiana refinery. The refining process chemically converts bauxite into alumina, the raw material from which primary aluminum is produced.
Annual bauxite production is currently approximately 4.5 million tonnes of ore.
We operate the St. Ann bauxite mine through Noranda Bauxite Limited (NBL), a Jamaican limited liability company. NBLs bauxite mining assets consist of: (1) a concession from the Government of Jamaica to mine bauxite in Jamaica through 2030 and (2) a 49% interest in Noranda Jamaica Bauxite Partnership, or NJBP, which holds the physical mining assets and conducts the mining and related operations pursuant to the concession. The Government of Jamaica owns the remaining 51% of NJBP.